This apple-sour cream cake is moist and delicious. This coffee cake has a cinnamon crumble and a delightful ooey-gooey topping. It’s the perfect treat for a cold fall day.
If you love this cake, try my Apple Cider Bundt Cake. Apple Cider Donuts, Apple Cobbler, and Air Fryer Apple Fritters!
This coffee cake gives me cozy fall vibes. This coffee cake is packed with cinnamon apple flavor and goes perfectly with hot coffee in the morning.
Apple is my favorite fall flavor. You can be sure that this cake contains a lot of apple pieces!
Then there is the sour cream. This ingredient adds moisture and richness, like in my Chocolate Bundt Cake. It’s irresistible!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Was I not clear that this cake is super soft and moist? The sour cream is to thank for this.
- This is a simple recipe you can whip up quickly before a brunch or dinner party.
- There is cinnamon on top. Butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon are the only three ingredients. What’s not love about this combination?
Notes and substitutions for INGREDIENTS
- Gluten-free flour: My favorite gluten-free flour blend is Bob’s Red Mill’s 1 to 1. Use xanthan if you are using a different flour blend. Because this flour is a cup-for-cup, you can use AP flour instead if you don’t want to make the cake gluten-free.
- Baking soda and baking powder: Be sure to use fresh leavening agents! The cake will not rise if the leavening agents are old. Here’s a simple way to check it.
- Sour cream: This is the star of this recipe, and it adds a delicious richness. Make sure to use full-fat sour cream. This ingredient should not be substituted with anything else. You’ll always get different results.
- Apples: I used two small Honeycrisp apples for this recipe, but you can use any type you like!
- Brown Sugar: I recommend using light brown sugar, but dark brown can also be used.
STEP 1:Combine your dry ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
STEP 2: Mix cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
STEP THIRTY: Add the sour cream and vanilla and continue to mix until everything is incorporated.
STEP Four: Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix at low speed.
STEP 5: Fold in the diced apple
STEP SEVEN: Combine the three ingredients in a small bowl to make the cinnamon topping.
STEP SIX: Transfer cake batter to a pan lined with parchment paper, and sprinkle topping on top. Bake for 35-40 min.
- Regarding gluten-free baking and baking, my top tip is to use a digital scale to weigh your flour. It is the only accurate way to measure flour. More (or more) can have a positive impact on your cake.
- I use a fork for the topping. You can also use your hands. Just make sure that the butter gets incorporated.
- It is recommended that you bake the cake for 35-40 minutes. However, it is best to check around the mark because every oven is different.