Sometimes i eat strange things. If ten years of blogging have taught me anything, it’s that many of you like strange foods. Experimenting in the kitchen can lead to some amazing flavour discoveries. This BBQ Beef and Cabbage recipe are for those willing to take a risk. It’s as satisfying as it was for me!
This skillet meal is a simple one. It starts with beef and cabbage. Then, it adds a sweet and tart homemade BBQ sauce. Finally, it ends with creamy cheddar cheese and fresh green onions. It’s a mix of Beef & Cabbage Stir Fry and Sloppy Joes. Although it isn’t a pretty dish, it’s flavorful and filling. It also contains a lot of vegetables. You can also serve this meal over rice if you wish to make it even more filling.
BBQ BEEF & CABBAGE
P.S. P.S. This dish would be incredible with super thinly sliced jalapeno! This recipe is extremely flexible. There should be enough sauce to cover a whole pound.
BBQ BEEF & CABBAGE
This quick BBQ Beef and Cabbage recipe can be prepared in just one pan. It uses cheap cabbage instead of pasta or rice to bulk it out.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 1.5 cups per person
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
- 1/2 lb. 1/2 lb.
- 1 small onion (0,32)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ($0.10)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided ($0.04)
- 4 to 6 cups of shredded cabbage (about 1 lb) ($0.60
- 8 oz. tomato sauce ($0.47)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar ($0.06)
- 2 Tbsp brown Sugar ($0.08)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce ($0.06)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard ($0.03)
- 2 oz. shredded cheddar ($0.50)
- 1 green onion, cut ($0.10)
- Place the olive oil, ground beef and salt in a large skillet. Heat on medium heat. As the beef browns, begin to break it up.
- Finely chop the onion while the beef is browning. Over medium heat, continue to cook the ground beef in a skillet until the onion is soft.
- Finely shred the cabbage while the beef and onions are cooking. Stir the onion mixture until it is soft. Add 1/4 cup of water to the skillet. Stir in the shredded cabbage. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring until the cabbage is tender.
- To the skillet, add the tomato sauce and vinegar. Brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon. Stir the ingredients together and allow to simmer for a few minutes more without the lid. This will reduce the liquid slightly. Add salt to taste. I added 1/4 teaspoon.
- Then, cover the beef and cabbage with the shredded cheese. Serve with the sliced green onions.
Serving Size: 1 serving Calories 314 kcal Carbohydrates 22 g Protein 24 g Fat 15 g sodium 1241 mg Fiber 4 g