It’s my favorite easy dinner. This creamy carbonara is perfect for a weeknight treat or a dinner party. This is the dish I choose when I have guests over, and don’t want to cook.
The sauce may not be made the traditional way, as the original carbonara sauce only contains cheese and eggs. However, the addition of cream to this recipe makes the dish easier to prepare and keeps it better for leftovers and if you are not serving it immediately.
Keep the pasta water. Once the pasta has been cooked, do not drain it. You will need it to make the sauce.
I usually buy my pancetta at Aldi as they sell it diced for a great price. I serve it with a garlic baguette or garlic doughballs.
Step by step instructions on how to make creamy, easy carbonara.
Scroll down to see the printable recipe card and ingredient list
1. Bring water in a large pan to a boil
2. While the water is heating, pour 100ml of single cream into a cup or jar. Add 3 tbsp of parmigiano-reggiano, 2x egg yolks, and pepper.
3. Mix until combined and set aside
4. Add the dried spaghetti into the boiling water
5. While the spaghetti is being cooked, add pancetta or bacon to another saucepan.
6. The pancetta/bacon should be cooked until crispy. The spaghetti is now fully cooked. Turn off the heat but keep the spaghetti in pan. (DO NOT DRINK THE WATER, this step really matters).
7. Add the pasta to the pancetta, along with some of the pasta water.
8. Pour in the mixture of cream, cheese and eggs.
9. If the sauce seems dry, add a few spoons of pasta water. Once the sauce becomes smooth and glossy, it is ready to be served!
- Dried spaghetti for four
- Pasta water (from cooked spaghetti)
- 300g diced pancetta (or bacon)
- 3 tbsp grated Parmigiano-reggiano cheese*
- 100ml Cream
- 2x egg yolks
- Black pepper pinch to season
- Separate yolks from whites of eggs
- Mix the cream with the egg yolk and cheese in a cup or jug. Add a pinch of pepper to taste.
- Once the water is boiling, add the spaghetti to the pan and cook according to the instructions on the package. Once the spaghetti has been cooked, turn off the heat but don’t drain the liquid.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and add the bacon or pancetta. Fry until crispy.
- Add the pasta to the pan of meat, along with some of the pasta water.
- Stir the egg and cream cheese mixture quickly into the pan.
- Add more pasta water from the pan with the cooked spaghetti if the mixture looks dry. Continue adding pasta water until the sauce becomes glossy and rich.
- It’s now ready to use!