In 15 minutes, you can have a thick and warm soup at your table! This Chinese Corn Soup (also known as Egg Drop Soup) will blow you away. This soup tastes exactly like the Chinese food you can get in restaurants. It is also very easy to prepare and doesn’t require any chopping. Can of creamed Corn can do wonders. See for yourself by watching the video! Sometimes, I find the best recipes in the most unexpected places. Dorothy is a wonderful lady from Tennessee, USA, who I met via my blog. She has given me some amazing recipes that readers cannot get enough of. Her Easiest MOIST Apple Cake is a must-try, as are her No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. My friends love these bars.
What about this Chinese Corn Soup? It was made by a friend who is not a big fan of cooking. She loves the eating part but not the cooking.
It’s funny that my friend, who is the worst cook in the world, gave me the recipe for the soup I most often make. It is fitting, though, since this Chinese Corn Soup I make is the fastest soup that I can make. She knew about it, and I do it often.
This Chinese Corn Soup is made with chicken because I usually have a bag of chicken shredded in my freezer.
But I like to go a step further and add some vegetables. I want to add Chinese leafy greens like bok Choy, Chinese Broccoli, or normal broccoli. This fills out the dish and makes it a complete dinner.
For the sake of providing a true base recipe, this is a straightforward recipe with only chicken. In reality, however, I would use bits of carrots, zucchini, or any other leftovers in my refrigerator!
You can see in the video that I made below how I did it without using any chopping boards. Sometimes, and more than you might expect, it’s just too difficult to chop greens.
This recipe was posted in June 2014 when I first started my blog, and it was mainly just my mother who read it! My patience was not my strongest virtue, and I shared my best recipes back then.
My photography and video have improved a lot in the past 2 1/2 years, so I am sharing this. I was sad to think that this recipe, which has such bad photos and no one is making it because it’s SO good, was sitting in my archive. It’s so delicious. There are only a few recipes that are easy to prepare and taste great but are also ridiculously easy. My mission is to find them all and share them with you.
- # Stock or broth made from chicken or vegetables.
- ▢ Creamed Corn in a 16oz/420g can
- ▢ 1 tbsp. Soy sauce, all-purpose, or light
- ▢ 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine OR Mirin (dry Sherry) (can be omitted).
- ▢ 1 tsp minced ginger or finely chopped
- ▢ One clove of garlic, finely minced
- ▢ Mix 1 tsp of cornstarch or cornflour with cold water.
- ▢ 1 Egg – whisked
- ▢ 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- ▢ To taste: salt and white pepper
- ▢ 3 tbsp of sliced shallots/scallions (optional).
- Pour the broth, corn cream, Chinese cooking wine (or soy sauce), ginger, garlic, and cornflour/water mixture into a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Turn off the heat and whisk the egg slowly into the soup. It also thickens soup.
- Serve the chicken with scallions and white pepper.