The chicken is cooked in small pieces with stock and sweetcorn, as well as a few flavor enhancers like sesame and white pepper. The classic fluffy egg is feathered in the broth to finish it off. It’s ready in just 20 minutes and is utterly delicious!
Have you ever tried egg drop soup before? The soup is also known as egg flower soup because the egg feathers and flowers appear when the hot liquid is stirred in.
This soup is a restaurant favorite, chicken and sweetcorn soup.
This dish is easy to prepare, delicious, and relatively inexpensive. It can be served as an appetizer or part of a buffet with other Chinese dishes.
To make sure my kids are satisfied, I serve it with rice and toast sesame prawn.
- Chicken Breast — we only need a small breast of chicken for this soup. The chicken is cut into small pieces. If you prefer, you can substitute 2-3 chicken thighs.
- You can use homemade chicken broth or stock made from stock cubes.
- Sesame Oil This adds a wonderful, slightly nutty aroma and flavor to the soup.
- Sweetcorn: I use tinned kernels of Corn and mush them a bit so that we get some creamy corn paste and some whole grains. You can substitute with creamed Corn if you like (creamed Corn is not readily available in the UK).
- Cornflour: To make a slurry of cornflour (corn starch)- thicken soup.
- Eggs are whisked into the soup and then added to create the ribbons.
- Garlic, Salt, and White pepper as flavoring – I add white pepper for a touch of warmth.
- # One tablespoon of Sesame oil
- ▢ Two cloves of garlic, peeled and minced.
- ▢ Good quality chicken stock, 1 litre (4 cups plus 3 tbsp).
- ▢ 150g/5.3oz, chopped into small chunks (approx. 150g/5.3oz chopped into small pieces (approx. 1cm cubed).
- ▢ 198 g (7oz) tin sweetcorn, drained
- ▢ White pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- ▢ Mix two tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch for Americans) with six tablespoons of water.
- ▢ Two medium eggs whisked
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- ▢ Chop two spring onions (scallions)
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan on low heat.
- One tablespoon of sesame seed oil
- Stir gently while adding the garlic. Cook for one minute.
- Two cloves garlic
- Bring the mixture to a boil, adding the chicken stock and diced meat.
- 1 liter of good quality chicken stock (four cups plus three tablespoons) One small chicken breast
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Roll the sweetcorn with the rolling pin to a little mush, leaving about half of the kernels whole.
- 198 g (7oz) tin sweetcorn, drained
- Mix the sweetcorn and white pepper in the pan.
- 1/8 teaspoon of white pepper
- Bring the mixture back to a boil and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture slowly to slightly thicken the soup.
- Two tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch if you are in the USA)
- Add the whisked eggs in thin streams while stirring slowly. As it cooks, the egg should flutter in the liquid.
- Two medium eggs
- Taste the soup, and add Salt as needed (depending on how salty your stock is).
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- Before serving, divide the mixture between two bowls. Garnish with spring onions chopped.
- Two spring onions