Why don’t you smell-a-vision be invented yet? It would be amazing if you could smell the Kale Swiss and Mushroom Strata while it bakes. Just smell it. This Kale Swiss and Mushroom Strata has been my favourite meal for the last three days. I don’t regret it. Although technically it is a breakfast dish, it can be enjoyed all day.
I won’t lie. This is 100% my decision. The Family Stone is my favourite Christmas movie, and I wanted a mushroom stratum to make it part of my Christmas tradition.
There are many options!
Aldi was my first stop. I spent 20 minutes trying to choose the right cheese for my strata. I chose the least expensive cheese (Swiss) to ensure that it tasted good at its most basic. If you’re looking for something fancier, you can try brie or chevre or gruyere.
KALE SWISS AND MUSHROOM STRATA
This Kale Swiss and Mushroom Strata is a delicious and filling dish that’s great for brunch, lunch, or dinner. Make sure to prepare the night ahead and bake the next morning.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Refrigerate: 8 hrs
Total Time: 9 hours 15 minutes
- 1 loaf of hearty bread (about 1 Lb. total)* ($1.69)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($0.12)
- 2 cloves minced garlic ($0.16)
- 8 oz. mushrooms ($1.29)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- 8 oz. chopped kale (6-8 cups) ($2.13)
- 8 oz. 8 oz.
- 6 large eggs ($1.50)
- 1.5 cups whole milk ($0.50).
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard ($0.09)
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- Prepare the strata the day before so that they can be refrigerated overnight. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Cut the bread into about 1/2 inch in size and place it on a baking sheet. To partially dry the bread, bake the bread pieces in the oven for 20 mins, stirring halfway through.
- Slice the mushrooms and then add them to the butter, minced garlic and salt. Sauté the mushrooms on medium heat until they are dry and start to brown (about 5 minutes).
- The kale can be added to the skillet along with the mushrooms. Sauté the kale for 2-3 minutes.
- Butter or non-stick spray the interior of a 3-quart casserole dish. Layer half the bread pieces on the bottom of a casserole dish. Next, add half the mushrooms, half the kale and half the Swiss. Slowly layer the ingredients between the bread pieces, then move them around a bit.
- Mix the eggs, milk and Dijon in a large bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread the egg mixture on the prepared strata. Don’t forget to sprinkle the mixture all over. Cover the strata with egg mixture and let it sit in the refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- Allow the strata to rest at room temperature for 30 mins the next day. Preheat the oven to 350oF. Bake, the casserole for 50 mins or until it reaches 160oF. The top should be deeply golden brown.
- Allow the strata to rest for 10 minutes before slicing them into six pieces.
This recipe does not recommend soft or fluffy bread. Make sure your bread is strong enough to withstand overnight soaking in liquid. You can use any artisan loaf, but it will be even better if you have sourdough!
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 507.23 Kilocalories Carbohydrates 43.65 G Protein: 27.27 G Fat: 26.58g Sodium 871.57 mg Fiber 6.12 g