You all know that I love bowl meals. It is routine for me to go to my fridge and grab any odds and ends and then throw them in a bowl. Most of them have a base (a grain, salad greens, protein, and vegetables) with some cheese or dressing. This rice-hummus combination is my favourite bowl meal base, so I wanted it to be highlighted and show how versatile it can be. These Mediterranean Hummus Bowls don’t have to be a recipe but are more like a guideline for making easy meals. Below are many suggestions for substitutions and swaps. However, I encourage you to be creative and create your flavour combinations using what you already have.
SWAPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS IDEAS
- Garlic Marinated Chicken (thighs and breasts)
- Soft Boiled Eggs.
- Beef Kofta Meatballs
- You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or chicken. Follow the recipe below.
- All veg is good! Hummus is a great source of protein. You can limit your intake and stick to rice, hummus and vegetables.
- Any combination of roasted veggies
- Quartered artichoke hearts
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Grilled eggplant
- Sauteed, grilled or sauteed zucchini or yellow squash
- Roasted cauliflower
- Roasted red peppers (from the jar)
- Bell peppers
- Shredded carrots or beets
- Any other grain like bulgur, farro or brown rice, quinoa, etc.
- Salad greens
- You can also make it into a naan pie. Spread the hummus on the naan and then add the remaining ingredients.
MEDITERRANEAN HUMMUS BOWLS
These filling, delicious Mediterranean Hummus Bowls can be made with any protein or vegetable.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
SEASONED GROUND BEEF
- 1/2 lb. Ground beef ($2.65)
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano ($0.05).
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ($0.05).
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
BOWL INGREDIENTS (ALL OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS)
- 4 cups cooked rice ($0.70)
- 1 cup hummus* (1.48)
- 1-pint grape tomatoes ($1.89)
- 1/2 English cucumber ($0.75)
- 1/4 Red Onion ($0.07)
- 1 cup kalamata olives ($0.90)
- 2 oz. Crumbled Feta ($1.10)
- Several handfuls of fresh parsley, chopped ($0.25)
- Add the ground beef, garlic powder, oregano, and salt in a large skillet. Stir the beef until it is browned on all sides and combined with the spices.
- For each bowl, add 1/4 cup hummus and 1 cup rice. Divide the rest of the ingredients between the four bowls, or use as much as you like. Serve immediately, or let cool in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat.
*Make Homemade Hummus This recipe is great for meal preparation! To avoid overcooking the vegetables, I prefer to eat the prepared bowls cold.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 644.3 kcal Carbohydrates 644 g Protein: 20.93 G Fat: 31.88g Sodium 1790.08 mg Fiber 7.3 g