This is a beautiful, tender, and delicious meat casserole. With carrots, celery, and onions, it forms a deliciously juicie gravy. It is delicious and served with couscous or rice. The leftovers were a hit with my family. They fought to get the rest for lunch the following day. This was a real success.
- Two tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 (1 inch) thick slices of veal shank, sliced for osso buco
- Two tablespoons butter
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Two onions, roughly chopped
- Two large carrots, chopped
- Two stalks of celery, chopped
- Two cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- Two teaspoons of chopped fresh oregano.
- One bay leaf
- Sprinkle the flour with pepper and salt to taste. Toss the shanks of veal with flour until they are evenly coated. Melt butter and olive oils in a large pan over medium heat. The shank slices should be cooked in the buttery hot oil until they are golden brown all over, approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- In a large slow cooker, combine the celery, onions, carrots, and garlic. Then, pour the diced tomatoes and chicken stock over the vegetables. Oregano, bay leaf, and salt to taste.
- Cook the meat on low for 8 hours or until it falls off the bone; before serving, season to taste with pepper and salt.