This slow-cooker potato leek soup is one of the best and most flavorful soups. This creamy soup is loaded with Yukon Gold potatoes, leeks, and herbs. It cooks while you go about your day.
Why This Soup Works
This soup is delicious. This soup is incredibly creamy, thanks to the herbs combined with leeks and potatoes. You can serve this soup with bread or by itself.
You can let the slow cooker handle the potato-leek broth, as it will cook in the crockpot. This recipe is proof that slow-cooked food tastes better.
Vichyssoise Soup is another name for potato leek. It means the cream of potatoes leek in French.
How to make potato leek soup in a slow cooker
- Leeks — These are like huge green onions, and they have a lot of flavor! These are full of sand, so be sure to rinse them after cutting.
- Salted Butter– Use this to brown leeks, adding a caramelized flavor to your soup.
- SeasoningsGarlic salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme.
- Yukon Gold potatoes– Buttery Yukon gold potatoes are best for this soup. They have creamy russet potatoes, but they don’t.
- Broth de poulet — Use low sodium if cutting back on sodium.
- Heavier cream– Add this at the end to give the soup a richer flavor.
Directions Step by Step
- Step one: You will need the lighter, rounder part of the leeks, which you can cut into half-moons or rounds. The dark green portion of the leek is tough and chewy. Step Two: In a large pan, combine leeks and butter over medium heat. Cook the leeks until they are soft.
- Step 3: Add the bay leaves, thyme, and salt to the slow cooker.
- Step 4: Add the broth to your slow cooker, and then place the lid on. Cook on HIGH for five hours or Low for eight hours.
- Step 5: Remove the bay leaves and the thyme stems from the soup once the potatoes have softened. Step six: Add the cream to your soup and blend again. Serve the Potato Leek soup with crusty bread and garnish with chives.
- I like to adapt recipes to the person I am cooking for. You can easily change this recipe.
- Add bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? Bacon is a great addition to soup. Add it to the soup at the very end. Crumble bacon over the casserole.
- Switch Herbs. This recipe is great because you can customize it to your taste. You can swap out one ingredient for another if you don’t enjoy it.
- Make this recipe vegetarian- This recipe uses butter and cream as well as chicken broth. Vegetable broth can be used to make the recipe vegetarian. You can make it vegan by using a butter and cream substitute. Vegan cream cheese is often used to replace heavy cream.
- Two large leeks sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Salted butter
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- You can use three fresh sprigs of thyme or one teaspoon. Dried leaf thyme, not ground
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh chives chopped as a garnish.
- Slice the leeks and discard the thick, green pieces at the ends. Add the leeks to a large pan with butter and garlic, and cook on medium heat until they are soft.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme, and salt to the crockpot along with the potatoes.
- Close the lid and add the chicken broth. Cook on low for 8 or 5 hours.
- When the potatoes are soft enough, remove the bay leaves and thyme (if you used fresh sprigs). Blend the soup using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. DO NOT over-blend. You will need to blend your soup in small batches if you’re using a food processor or blender.
- Add the cream and blend again. Garnish with chopped chives. Serve with crusty bread.