This Bacon & Potato Layer bake consists of layers of sliced potatoes, Bacon, tomatoes, onions, and cheese baked in chicken stock. This is a comfort food that I grew up eating. It’s simple, delicious, and easy to make.
NB: My Bacon & Potato Layer Bake has been updated with better photos as it is so popular. It deserved to be better. Enjoy!
Another dish I grew to love is the Bacon & potato layer bake. It’s delicious and a big hit with everyone.
Over the years, I have tweaked my method because the potatoes tended not to cook and required more time in the oven.
To solve this problem, I parboil the potatoes at the start. The addition of chicken broth helps to provide moisture and steam while cooking, as well as make the dish more delicious!
This bacon bake is comfort food at its finest!
Bacon & Potato Layer Bake
This delicious family meal is comfort food at its finest! It’s made with layers of potato, Bacon and tomato, onions, and Cheddar, baked in chicken stock.
Keyword bacon, cheese, potato
Prep Time 15 Minutes
Total Time1hour and 30minutes
- Potatoes 850g, finely sliced
- Fat removed from 1 pack of smoked back Bacon (between 6 and 8 rashers).
- One onion, finely sliced
- Extra mature Cheddar Cheese, 150g grated
- Three tomatoes sliced
- 200 mls chicken stock
- Butter 30g approximately
- Preheat oven to 180degC.
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil the potato slices in it for six minutes. Drain.
- The Bacon should be fried until it is just cooked.
- Alternately layer the potato, onion, and Bacon with the tomato, grated cheddar, seasoning, and seven small knobs of butter.
- Finish by adding a layer of grated potato and butter-flecked cheese.
- Pour hot chicken stock on top of the potatoes.
- Cover with foil or a lid (shiny-side down) and cook for an hour (or till tender).
- Remove the foil or lid, and cook for ten more minutes so the cheese can brown.