These tender, delicious, and hearty steaks from Chuck Beef are easy to make and will fill your hungry stomach.
GRAVY THIN-CUT CHUCK ROAST STAKES
This is an easy and tasty steak dinner that is also incredibly affordable. This dish is made with the super-affordable chuck roast, which you can buy in most grocery stores and butchers. You can also thinly slice your roast yourself.
This recipe is easy to make and completely homemade. The slow cooker will do the rest of the work for you. You’ll come home to a delicious steak dinner, which goes well with potatoes.
This hearty beef stew is great for meal preparation and leftovers.
HOW TO MAKE CHUCK ROAST STEAKS IN THE SLOW COOKER
Ingredients needed to make this recipe:
- Thinly sliced chuck steaks. Chuck roast is large and will take more than 4 hours to cook in a slow cooker. We use thin-sliced chuck steaks, which are steaks that have been cut from the roast. Chuck roast is
- Carrots. Carrots have a sweetness that cuts the fattiness of beef, as well as a bitterness that enhances pepper flavor.
- White Onion. The white onion not only adds flavor, but it also has an enzyme that helps tenderize the beef. It keeps the texture soft and chewy and breaks down the tendons and fat more effectively as the dish cooks. Onion gives a spicy, earthy flavor to beef that complements its richness.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic cloves add a bit of “heat” to dishes and a little kick, enhancing the addictive qualities of gravy infused with herbs.
- The powdered version of raw garlic. It is sweeter and more earthy than raw garlic and gives gravy a better balance.
- Onion Powder. The onion powder is sweeter and more balanced than raw onions.
- Olive Oil. A little oil will help to seal in moisture as the chuck roast cooks. It also acts as an essential fat to ensure that the gravy sets properly and gives it a mild salty taste.
- Beef broth or stock. The liquid in this dish is needed to tenderize and braise the meat. Using a flavorful broth or stock instead of water allows you to pack the most flavor into your meal.
- You can use fresh herbs like sage, rosemary, thyme, or any other herb you enjoy. Fresh herbs are a great way to add a rich, earthy flavor that will fill the house.
- Prepare. Chop carrots, onions, and garlic. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add garlic, onion, and olive oil to the slow cooker. Then, place the chuck steaks on top. Add fresh herbs to the top.
- Set the slow cooker on high and add the lid. Cook for 4 hours. After 4 hours, remove the steaks and place them on a plate or cutting board.
- Blend the gravy. While meat is resting, use an immersion blender to blend liquids and vegetables from the slow cooker.
- Remove excess fat from the steaks and return them to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, then top with parsley. Enjoy with pasta, potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, vegetables, salad, or over rice.
Tips and Tricks to Perfect Slow Cooker Chuck Roast Steaks
- This dish does not require browning. We pre-sear most of our slow cooker meals, but for this one, we do not. If you want to add a little color, cook the steak for 2 to 4 minutes in a pan. This will give it a slight caramelization on both sides.
- Rest beef before carving. Let the meat cool down for 5-10 mins before slicing. While I blend and make gravy, I remove the heart from the slow cooker. I let it cool down enough that it can be touched and is no longer steaming. I then trim any excess fat and discard it. Then I add the beef back into the slow cooker with gravy, adding chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
- Blend the gravy well. To avoid messing up other dishes, I use an immersion blend to blend dressing in the slow cooker. If you do not have an immersion blend, you can use a food processor or blender and pulse it on high until the gravy is completely smooth.
- Thicken gravy naturally. The fat and vegetables from this recipe thicken the sauce perfectly on their own. Thanks to our blending process, I do not need to add any flour or thickener to make it thicker. However, you can thicken it if you prefer. We prefer to make a quick roux and stir it into the slow cooker after cooking down to reduce the rest of the gravy.
- Two pounds of thinly sliced chuck steaks
- Peel and wash 2-3 large carrots.
- White onion, one large
- Six cloves garlic
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- One tablespoon of onion powder
- Olive oil two tablespoons
- 16 oz of beef broth or bone stock
- Fresh rosemary, sage, or thyme can be used, as well as other herbs that you like.
- Place carrots, onions, garlic, and cloves in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add chuck steaks to the slow cooker, then top with olive oil, garlic, and onion powder.
- Add stock to the slow cooker and stir quickly. Add fresh herbs to the top.
- Set the slow cooker on high. Cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, remove the steaks and place them on a plate or cutting board.
- While the meat is resting, use an immersion blender to blend liquids and vegetables from slow cookers until they become a velvety, smooth gravy.
- Add steaks to the slow cooker after trimming excess fat. Add chopped parsley and season with freshly ground pepper.
- Enjoy with pasta, potatoes, Yorkshire pud, salads, vegetables, or over rice!