Why You Will Love This Recipe
It is a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day without having to eat any green food. I love green food, but I wouldn’t say I like food that’s green when it shouldn’t be (i.e., eggs, pancakes, potatoes, etc.).
What is corned Beef?
Corned Beef, also known as salt-cured Beef, became popular around the 17th century after people began salt-curing meat. Corned Beef tastes more like ham to me than Beef. It is similar in texture and flavor. Also known as corned brisket.
Flat Cut Vs. Point Cut
Corned Beef is available in two cuts: flat cut and pointed cut. Which one should you choose?
After some research, I found that flat-cut corned meat was the best choice. It’s easier to find, leaner, and more flavorful when properly cooked. The slices of corned meat can be used for sandwiches or diced to make corned beef hash. The name of the cut is a Point Cut. It ends in a point.
- Corned Beef. The cut I used was flat. The pickling spice packet is also included.
- Vegetables. Red Potatoes. Onion, cabbage, and carrots are optional
- Beef broth.
Slow Cooker Corned beef
- Add the seasoning packet that comes with the corned meat to the slow cooker. Add 4 cups of beef stock.
- Turn your slow cooker to low and leave it on for 8-9 hours.
- Add the carrots and potatoes halfway through cooking time. It prevents the potatoes and carrots from becoming too mushy. You could add some cabbage to make it even more authentic. I wouldn’t say I like cabbage, and even less the smell it emits when it’s cooking. It reminds me of the days when I ate it in school cafeterias. If you plan to use the cabbage, add it at the very last minute.
- Remove from the slow cooker, and slice the corned meat like a brisket. It should be tender and easy to pull apart.
- # 1 3-4 lb. Corned beef flat cut with spice packet
- ▢ Cut four carrots into pieces
- ▢ Eight small red potatoes, depending on their size, are halved in half or quartered.
- ▢ One onion peeled and cut into chunks.
- ▢ 4 cups beef broth
- ▢ Half a head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Slow cooker: Place the brisket in it
- Add beef broth
- Sprinkle meat with seasoning pack.
- Cook at low heat for 8-9 Hours.
- Add vegetables to the cooking process halfway through.
- Add the cabbage one hour before you are ready to eat.