This simple 4-ingredient Apricot chicken family dinner is cooked in the slow cooker until fall-apart tender.
I love easy and quick midweek meals. While I enjoy spending weekends cooking a more elaborate meal, our weeknight dinners must be simple!
If you want a meal to become a regular in our home, it must:
- is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a trip to the grocery store!
- Easy to prepare
- Freezer-friendly (for leftovers)
This recipe for slow cooker apricot chicken is sure to please your family. It’s also a great way to try out other favorites such as noodle and Beef Chow Mein, creamy chicken with bacon and rice, four ingredient Carbonara, or tuna, vegetable, and pasta bake.
SLOW COOKER APRIcot CHICKEN RECIPE
This is a classic recipe! This recipe has been around for a long and is a perfect example of delicious and simple family meals.
This dish is the perfect combination of sweet and salty flavors. It’s made with apricots, chicken, and French onion.
You can also cook it in a slow cooker or crockpot to make the poultry fall apart tender.
Why You’re Going to Love This Recipe
- Prep & Leave –we love the simplicity of slow cooker meals. This apricot-flavored chicken only takes 10 minutes to prepare, and then you can leave it to cook all day.
- Family Meal –this meal will be a hit with everyone in the family, even those who are pickier and younger. It is so popular because of the sweetness of apricots.
- Budget Friendly –This recipe uses chicken thighs, one of the cheaper cuts. If you prefer, you can use chicken drumsticks instead of chicken thighs. Chicken breasts will not be as tender or juicy as chicken thighs.
- Four Ingredients –This recipe is easy to make… It only requires four ingredients!!
- French Onion Soup Mix. While the French Onion Soup packet may look small, it is packed with flavor.
- Freezer Friendly– My slow cooker apricot hen can be frozen for up to 3 months. Why not double the recipe?!
What you need
Just 4 Ingredients !!!! Can you believe it!?
- Skinless thighs of the chicken. The best choice is chicken thighs or drumsticks, as the meat is more tender and will fall apart when cooked. If you wish, you can add up to one kilogram of chicken.
- Apricot nectar is a sweet, thick liquid. Below are my tips on where to buy apricot syrup and what type you should use.
- Apricot half – make sure the halves of the apricot are drained before adding them to the crockpot.
- French Onion Soup Mix –this powder can be purchased in the soup aisle at the supermarket. You can use any brand. I use Continental Brand, which is very popular in Australia. This product is also called a simmer soup mix.
What is apricot NECTAR?
Apricot Nectar is a thick sweet liquid that mixes pureed apricots with water.
The juice is usually kept in the canned/tinned fruit aisle, not the gallery with the fruit.
You can use any brand, including Homebrand. If you cannot buy apricot syrup, use this recipe to make it yourself.
What kind of apricot halves are best to use?
Use a tin or container of apricot halves that are already in juice. They are soft and have no skin, making them ideal for this recipe.
You could also use lightly poached or preserved apricots halves.
This recipe only works with fresh or dried peaches because they are too firm.
HOW TO MAKE APRICOT CHICKEN IN A CROCK POT (SLOW COOKER)
Note: Scroll down to the printable recipe card for full details and ingredients quantities.
In just three quick steps, you can prepare this super-easy dinner:
STEP 1: SEAR THE CHICKEN
It is optional but makes a massive difference in the taste and texture of your dish.
Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker after browning them on both sides.
STEP 2: Add the remaining ingredients and cook
Cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours.
STEP 3: THICKENING THE SAUCE IS OPTIONAL.
Thanks to the French onion and apricot syrup, the sauce will be incredibly delicious at the end of cooking.
Add a bit of cornflour in water to thicken your soup. Stir it through.