This chicken and leek pie, which is easy to make, is a favorite in my home. This pie is easy to prepare, delicious, and loved by my children and husband.
Ingredients you Will Need
You will need the following ingredients to make my chicken and leek pies:
- A leek
- Carrot, Zucchini
- Chicken stock
- Wholegrain Mustard and sour Cream (optional)
- Puff pastry sheet
If you’ve never cooked with leeks before, they are mild and sweet.
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
- Chicken: I like to use boneless breasts and thighs. You can substitute leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie to make raw chicken.
- Wholegrain Mustard: You can use any mild mustard, such as Dijon, or you can leave this ingredient out.
- Sour Cream This can be replaced with creme fraiche or Cream, evaporated Cream, cream cheese, or a dairy-free version. You can leave out the sour Cream, but It makes for a better pie.
- Carrots and zucchini: This pie is delicious with grated mushrooms.
- Chicken Stock: You can use chicken bone broth to boost the protein content of this pie.
Countdown Supermarket supports my blog with ingredients to create and test recipes. This recipe uses macro organic wholegrain sour Cream, chicken thighs, and Mustard from their ranges.
How to Make Chicken and Leek Pie
Here are the illustrated step-by-step instructions for making my Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe Cookies. If you prefer the written instructions, then go straight to the printable card below or watch my quick recipe video.
Step one: Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
Step 2: Cut the leek into thin rings (you want the pale green and white parts). You can discard the majority of the dark leaves. Sauté the leek with the oil.
Step 3: Dice the carrot finely and add it to the pan. Continue to sauté the leek until they are both tender and fragrant. (approximately five minutes).
Step Four: Dice up the chicken and add it to the pan. Seal the chicken. The chicken does not have to be browned on all sides, as it will cook when you add the stock.
Step 5: Add the stock and grate the Zucchini. Stir the mixture for 20-30 minutes. You want to reduce the liquid as it will be used to fill your pie. If you add too much liquid, you’ll end up with soup. If you think that there isn’t enough liquid in the mixture, wait until it has simmered for 20-30 minutes before adding more stock.
Step 6: After the chicken and vegetable mix has been reduced, turn off the heat and stir in the Mustard and the sour Cream. This step can be skipped, but the taste of the pie will be amazing if you add these two ingredients.
Step 7: Transferring the chicken and leek mixture into the pie dish
If you want to, brush the puff pastry with some milk or egg wash.
Bake the pie at 200 degrees Celsius until the pastry is golden brown.
- Olive oil – 1-2 Tablespoons
- One large leek
- One medium carrot
- 500 g of chicken breasts or thighs
- Two medium Zucchini
- 300 ml chicken stock
- Wholegrain Mustard – 1 tbsp.
- Optional: 2 tablespoons sour Cream
- 1 Sheet puff pastry
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat
- You can discard the majority of the dark leaves and slice the leaves into rings. Sauté the leek with the oil.
- Add the carrot to the pan and continue to sauté the leek until it is tender and fragrant. (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken to the pan, seal it, and then dice the chicken. The chicken does not have to be browned on all sides, as it will cook when you add the stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the mixture simmer for about 20-30 minutes. You want to reduce the liquid as it will be used to fill your pie. If you don’t, you could end up with soup. If you think that there isn’t enough liquid in the mixture, wait until it has simmered for 20-30 minutes. The liquid will be used as the filling of your pie, and if it’s too liquidy, you end up with soup!
- After the mixture of chicken and vegetables has been reduced, could you remove it from the heat? Stir in the Mustard and the sour Cream. This step can be skipped, but the taste of the pie will be amazing when these two ingredients are added!
- Transfer the chicken-leek mixture to the pie dish.
- If you want to, brush the puff pastry with milk or egg wash.
- Bake the pastry at 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or until it is golden.
- It’s great with a 50/50 potato and cauliflower mash.